I define both work and life activities as one matter, and each has the following characteristics.
- There have been many emergencies.
- There have been many matters that come to one’s mind.
- The occasional sighting of many matters on one’s own.
- There are many matters planned.
And the result we want is.
- Do what is important.
- Urgent matters should also be done.
- General matters should also be taken into account.
- Be planned and timed.
- Be effective.
It can be seen that it is difficult to achieve the desired result from the reality of the situation, leading us to fail to make arrangements, or to abandon them altogether.
My method is actually not complicated.
- Record everything that needs to be done, but not do it immediately.
- Formulate a preliminary plan, but not a definitive plan.
- A defined plan of what to do each day.
- Urgent matters may be cut off.
- All the important matters that have been done are recorded.
- Matters recorded in the regular Review.
- Things that have been done on regular reviews that form an accumulation, preferably shared out.
- In the course of one matter, you can always add matters and form their own processes.
The tool of self-discipline.
I use Mac and iPhone productivity tools:.
- Use OmniFocus to gather what you want to do, try and schedule a preliminary plan, and put what you can’t schedule in the inbox.
- Use Evernote to collect and do relevant documentation.
- Use OmniOutliner to categorize and index the knowledge relevant to the matter.
- Use Fantastical App to schedule daily to-do lists.
- Refer to the information gathered in OmniOutliner and Evernote before proceeding.
- In doing so, use Evernote and OmniOutliner to collect information again and index it by category.
- After doing the work, if required, use Ulysses for output and record it in the corresponding knowledge category in OmniOutliner.
- Check the things in Inbox in OmniFocus every day, review all the things to do every week, delete the things that don’t need to be done, add the things that are forgotten, revise the plan and don’t leave the things that are not planned.
- periodically review the knowledge in OmniOutliner, enhance it as needed, or abandon it.
Key points for using self-regulatory methods and tools
The key to using this method is to realize that it is impossible for the human brain to remember everything, knowledge, so have the tools to record it and then let the brain digest it in the process of doing things to make things productive.
Most importantly, this set of methods and tools free the mind, eliminates distractions, and allows for a focus on the present moment while doing an arranged thing, with the opportunity to make the best of it.